Skip to content

Why am I getting an “invalid email address” when sending mail?

Question

I just set up my email account on my device. But, every time I try to send email, it says the email address is invalid, any advice?!!

Answer

NOTE: If you are having problems getting or receiving email, this article might help. If you still are having problems after reading this blog, please contact your email or internet provider as I cannot offer extended advice on this subject. My business focus is web and graphic design — not email.

If you can send an email to another address, the problem is the recipients email address and not your email set up.

Usually, this means something is not quite right with one of your recipient’s email addresses. Sometimes a sender will have their “reply to” email address spelled incorrectly and it ends up in your address book. So, when you try to type in their address it auto-fills with the wrong address. It could be a space or bad character.

Double check the email addresses of the people you are sending to and check for things like:

• Extra space somewhere in the email address. Usually auto-fill is the culprit what looks like your correct email is actually your email with a trailing space you can’t see: email@domain.com<space>
  • More than one ‘@’ sign
  • Username is longer than 300 characters
  • You’re entering ‘@gmail’ or ‘@yahoo’ instead of ‘@gmail.com’ or ‘@yahoo.com’
  • Their domain name is spelled wrong
  • Hand type (not auto-fill) their email address and see if it will send.

If you’ve tried these and still have no luck, try double-checking your own “reply-to” email address, and email address to make sure you have your email spelled properly.

Posted in , ,

1. clifford price on February 28, 2019 at 7:08 pm

some one is using my email address.

• Lena Shore on March 1, 2019 at 8:52 am

You should change your password.

• Miss Ellena on April 8, 2019 at 5:39 am

I tried to set up an email account but its saying invalid..what could be wrong ? Eg ellena82@gmail.com then it will say Please enter a valid email address

• Lena Shore on April 8, 2019 at 6:46 am

I’ll need a screenshot.

2. Prameela on February 28, 2019 at 1:43 am

My Gmail shows invalid each time when I use my Gmail

• Lena Shore on February 28, 2019 at 9:31 am

Please email me a screenshot of this happening.

3. Prameela on February 28, 2019 at 1:41 am

My mail id is showing invalid, always when I apply for anything

• Lena Shore on February 28, 2019 at 9:31 am

Please email me a screenshot of this happening. It feels like there must be a space or it is auto filling with the wrong info or something.

4. Richard Young on February 24, 2019 at 4:00 am

Hello…
    When I send an e-mail that starts with www. A message appears telling me, this is an invalid address. l am wondering about the www. Can you please tell me, what I am doing wrong? For an example, see the www. address below (it’s a real address!).
    Thanks;
    Richard Young.

Example address:

• Lena Shore on February 24, 2019 at 7:06 am

The short answer is you need to remove the www from the email address. I.E. name@domain.com vs name@www.domain.com

• The longer answer is that it’s not standard. So, if you have a system that is doing a check on the email structure, it may very well reject it before it even tries.
      • It does look like you can set up a subdomain in the DNS’ MX records to take email – but I’ve only read you can. I’ve never done it.
      • www is technically a subdomain – but it is special use. Generally when you set it up in the DNS you tell it to mirror the non-www. And, if the non-www already is setup for email, I don’t see how that is going to make it happy since you are giving it two sets of identical instructions.

You’ve certainly piqued my interest on precisely WHY this won’t work. I’ve never given it any thought other than to know it won’t work.

5. qaasim daawood on February 9, 2019 at 8:51 am

So dr sir ; How am i going to the microsoft?

6. diane on July 9, 2015 at 9:44 am

OK HERE IS THE REAL ANSWER!
    WHEN I WOULD TYPE MY EMAIL ADDRESS IN ON A FORM I WAS HITTING THE SPACE BAR AFTER .COM YOU CAN’T DO THAT! I finally paid microsoft to tell me that… so for all of you that are getting invalid email address error message that is your answer!

• Lena Shore on July 18, 2015 at 1:35 pm

Sorry you had to pay to have them tell you that Diane. At least you figured it out!

7. hanan on June 7, 2010 at 2:17 pm

iam happy to join yahoo masenger

8. hanan on June 7, 2010 at 2:15 pm

pleas help me to vaild my email

• Lena on June 7, 2010 at 2:45 pm

What is the error you are getting?

• Naeem ul haque on February 28, 2019 at 10:16 am

If enter my email Id it shows enter a valid email id

• Naeem ul haque on February 28, 2019 at 10:38 am

If I enter my email id it shows enter valid email id please give me solutions

• Lena Shore on February 28, 2019 at 1:21 pm

I’ll need a screenshot.

• Lena Shore on February 28, 2019 at 1:21 pm

I’ll need a screenshot.

• Jerry Bailey on March 13, 2019 at 9:21 pm

All those reasons have to do with typos. I enter my email correctly, hit send and still receive invalid email address. It usually occurs when I try to buy things on line. I feel like my email is blocked for some reason. Now, I really can not buy on the internet. My wechat was blocked recently too. It said suspicious log in attempt. No one signs in and out of wechat, you sign in when you set up your account and after that it is on. Back to invalid email, as I enter it in correctly and it works in my email, then there is some other problem. I wonder what it is?

• Jerry Bailey on March 13, 2019 at 9:23 pm

Posting on this site, my email address was accepted, or my post wouldn’t be on. So, something is up, but what is it?

• Shailesh chandra tiwari on April 9, 2019 at 12:51 pm

Everytime whenever I try to send/fill email id it goes invalid why?i can’t understand.

• Lena Shore on April 9, 2019 at 1:39 pm