Paypal, Square, and 1099s

January 2, 2012 / Updated: January 2, 2012 / Lena Shore

Question

Do you have any idea how Paypal and Square up deal with 1099 reporting for the IRS?

Answer

Paypal

Starting in 2011, all US payment providers including PayPal will be required by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to report sales information to the IRS about certain customers who receive payments for the sale of goods or services through PayPal.

•  Applies to sellers receiving over $20,000 in gross payment volume AND over 200 payments
•  Applies only for sales on or after January 1, 2011

If you have questions you can login to your account or call Paypal at 1-888-221-1161.

Square

Square does not currently report to the IRS on behalf of their sellers.

Tax law requires that they provide users who process over $20,000 and 200 payments with a 1099K before January 31st, 2012. They are also required to file a corresponding tax form with the IRS.

In accordance with thier User Agreement, Section 24, they will annually report your name, address, Tax ID (or SSN), EIN (if you have one), total amount per month and per year that you transacted with Square.

Posted in

1. Chels on February 4, 2020 at 10:32 pm

Do I have to pay taxes on money that was gifted to me through cash app if it equaled over 20k

2. Michelle on January 16, 2020 at 8:07 pm

Does square report the documented checkouts? For example: checking out a client who pays in cash. Let’s say you make more than $ 200 and more than 200 transactions and some are cash ect. would square report the cash I make or is that feature there just so I can keep track of my income.

3. Dwight Taylor on October 2, 2019 at 7:32 pm

I’m trying to sell crack but some of my customers are hoity toity. They only have credit cards. I dont want to miss out on those sales but the whole legality of selling drugs and what not. Is there a more illegal version of square

• Lena Shore on October 4, 2019 at 7:00 am

I’m sure this issue was probably covered somewhere in Breaking Bad or Sopranos.

4. Krunal shah on February 21, 2019 at 4:03 am

Do I have to pay tax on $14000 sale to calendar year on square app

• Lena Shore on February 21, 2019 at 8:19 am

You have to pay tax — period. Square is just a way to collect money and doesn’t really have anything to do with you paying or not paying your taxes. However, it does have some tools so you can see how much income you’d received.

5. mikie walsh on November 15, 2012 at 4:40 am

If square files a 1099(?) form with the irs only if a business makes 200 transactions and $20,000, does square still report transactions to the irs?

• Lena Shore on November 15, 2012 at 8:50 am

As of the posting of that article “Square does not currently report to the IRS on behalf of their sellers.” If it is a concern, I would double-check to see if they still have the same policy.

• Chris walsh on August 7, 2019 at 8:42 am

I work in a salon and from October 2019 to March 31st 2019 the owners had hooked up a square reader to his phone. He told the receptionist to make sure she was putting at least $1500 a day 5 days a week on the square and tell clients the credit card machine was broken. The new owner took over on April 1st and the square disappeared that day. I firmly believe that they had a private checking account linked to one of the workers they could trust to keep the money earned off square till they had finished up with the courts. In October one of the owners had his passport taken away for $80 grand owed to the IRS. The IRS.also took their home and were about to close up the business till it magically sold. I was also sent out on location to provide services but when it came to payment I was told to only take cash or check written out to cash. This is very concerning to me. Having not figured out where the money swiped on square went. They are now building a new home and I am pretty sure it’s with the money they embezzled thru square. Any advise on what to do to get them caught for this? I feel like me being asked to take cash and checks written to cash was part of their scam. I would like to turn them into the IRS. For further investigation with this matter. I know what they did and it’s illegal!!

• Lena Shore on August 7, 2019 at 9:12 am

I am a web developer, not a legal authority, therefore not qualified to give you advice on this. The IRS would be able to give you more direction.