I recently procured an older MacMini that I plan to run my PBX software. I don’t need (or have) a monitor for it. I just need it to be accessible over the network. I needed to use my iMac as a monitor to access the MacMini so I could set it up.
Here is the simple steps it took to get it up and running.
What you’ll need.
- Firewire to firewire transfer cable. This is a cable where both ends look the same. They are both male 6-pin connectors. They are cheap (less than $5.00) and you can find them at Amazon if you can’t find one at your local Radio Hack or computer store.
- Intel-based Mac Target computer (this is the newly aquired computer you want to access without a monitor.)
- Intel-based Mac Host computer (this is probably the computer you have up and running already).
- Keyboard (an extra keyboard is handy, but you could use the one you already have attached to your host computer).
- Turn off target computer.
- Connect a keyboard to the target computer.
- Connect your host computer and target computer with the firewire transfer cable(your host computer can be on). Make sure no other firewire devices are connected.
- Start the target computer while holding down the T key on your keyboard. This will put the target computer in Firewire Target Disk Mode.
- Restart the host computer using the target computer as the boot disk (System Preferences –> Start up Disk)
- Setup the target computer with network access and remote management (Sharing)
- Reboot the host computer with its own disk
- Disconnect the target computer and reboot.
Magic! You should now be able to use Screen Sharing over your network to remotely control your target computer without a mouse or keyboard.
To share another computer’s screen:
- Click the disclosure triangle next to Shared in the sidebar of a Finder window to display the shared computers on your network.
- Select the computer whose screen you want to share, and then click Share Screen.
- Select how you want to connect to the computer:
As a registered user: Select this to connect to the other computer using a valid login name and password. If “Only these users” is selected on the other computer, make sure the login name you’re using is on the list of allowed users.
By asking permission: Select this if you want to ask the current user of the other computer for permission to share their screen.