Sync Outlook Contacts with iPhone

Question

Did you ever get any info about how to get my MSOutlook contacts from my PC into my iPhone?

Answer

Synchronization of contacts between Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 and your Apple iPhone or iPod touch requires Apple iTunes. You can configure which items are synchronized during a one-time set up process.

After the initial setup, each time that you connect your iPhone or iPod touch to your computer, the changes made on your computer or device are synchronized.

1. Connect your iPhone or iPod touch to your computer using the cable provided with your device or by placing the iPhone or iPod touch in the Apple Universal Dock. {iTunes opens automatically when connected to your computer.)
  2. In iTunes, in the source list, under Devices, click the entry for your iPhone or iPod touch.
  3. Click the Info tab.
  4. Under Contacts, click Sync contacts from, and then click Outlook.
  5. To synchronize all contacts, click All contacts OR to limit the contacts that are synchronized, click Selected groups, and then click the groups you want to synchronize.NOTE : To select multiple groups, press CTRL as you click each group name.
  6. Click Apply.

If you are using a Microsoft Exchange Server account and have more than 500 contacts, all contacts might not synchronize unless you use Cached Exchange Mode. To turn on Cached Exchange Mode, see Turn on or off Cached Exchange Mode.

Posted in ,

1. BOB DUYSHART on May 3, 2011 at 11:13 am

hi
    when syncing “Outlook ContactS” to the iphone 4 via itunes
    do all fields tranfer across?
    particularry the filed called notes attached to each entry
    (the big open space on the bottom right hand side of the screen of each name entry)
    e.g.
    under the name Fred Smith there is a field called “notes”
    where one can write particulars regarding Fred Smith
    SO I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT “MICROSOFT NOTES” THE EDITING PROGRAMME
    i assumed it did transfer across ok
    but a chap at the phone company told me it did not
    the people people in the apple shop could not tell me for sure
    hence my detailed discription to avoid any misunderstanding
    i really like to know this before buying the iphone
    thanks so much
    Bob.

• Lena Shore on May 3, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Bob – I did quite a bit of research on this and cannot specifically find anything about the notes section of a contact. I keep finding vague references supporting it and then following by something saying it is unsupported. I did find this one fellows post from 2009 that lists the fields that were syncing at that time: http://www.realtown.com/larry2/blog/what-fields-in-outlook-sync-to-your-phone

So, it looks like no one is synching them really well. You might also try VersionTracker.com to see if they have some sort of program that will aid in the synching.

• Lena Shore on May 3, 2011 at 2:44 pm

One more note – I assume you are on a Windows machine and not using an old version of Outlook for Mac. However, if you are using a Mac, everything would synch just fine after you got the items moved over to the Address Book.

2. BOB DUYSHART on May 3, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Shanks so much for your promt reply Len
    i am on windos 7
    i transfered originally from palm pilot to outlook contacts
    when doing this i had to map (telling the programme which palm field had to go to which contact field )
    which works great if all your palm fields are in the same order
    mine were muddled up over the years
    so these were consequently muddled up as well during conversion except my notes as this must have been the last item
    thanks again
    Bob.

3. chris on January 18, 2012 at 4:45 pm

ther is no sauce list in i tunes?? didnt work

• Lena Shore on January 18, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I think you mean “source list”. The source list is just where your devices show up in iTunes on the left sidebar area. (:

• chris on January 18, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Hi Lena,
        No it’s not there. I followed the instructions:

1.Connect your iPhone or iPod touch to your computer using the cable provided with your device or by placing the iPhone or iPod touch in the Apple Universal Dock. {iTunes opens automatically when connected to your computer.) 2.In iTunes, in the source list, under Devices, click the entry for your iPhone or iPod touch.

I switched on the phone, pressed itunes,

The top is More then a list and 5 buttons on the bottom called music videos search purchased more

There is NO source list???

I only got the phone yesterday, it may be faulty

Regards

Chris Reeves Phone 0428 875139

4. Reny on February 23, 2012 at 3:26 am

I use outlookreflex to share my outlook mail and contacts to iphone. looking for an app to syn my Outlook calendar