Parental Controls on iPhone or iPod Touch?
December 9, 2009 / Updated: December 9, 2009 / Lena Shore
My son’s top Christmas request is an iPod Touch. Am I able to put parental controls on Internet content if I get him one of those?
Yes! Here is how:
- With your iPod Touch (or iPhone) on, go to “Settings”.
- Scroll down to “General”
- Select “Restrictions”
- Select “Enable Restrictions”. You will be prompted to choose and confirm a pass code. After that, you can go through and set all the restrictions to your liking!
And, finally, make sure you’ve had the talk with your children about being smart on the internet. Know that your child is used to computers and may know more than you about them, but may not have the experience to make great decisions all the time. iPhones and iPod Touches have texting and full internet capability and therefore the same precautions should be taken with them as you would with a computer.
Here are a few things to make sure your kids understand:
- Being careful not to give out personal information – such as passwords, your name, email, phone number, home address, or school name – to people who you don’t trust online.
- Meeting someone you have only been in touch with online can be dangerous. Only do so with your parents’ or carers’ permission and even then only when they can be present.
- Accepting emails, IM messages, or opening files, pictures or texts from people you don’t know or trust can lead to problems – they may contain viruses or nasty messages!
- Someone online may be lying about who they are, and information you find on the internet may not be reliable.
- Tell your parent, carer or a trusted adult if someone or something makes you feel uncomfortable or worried. To report possible illegal online activity related to child pornography, predation, or any other type of child sexual exploitation, call the CyberTipline: 800-843-5678 (800-TheLost) or contact their Web site: http://www.missingkids.com
Now that you are prepared – enjoy that iPod Touch! It’s a great gift that your child is sure to love!