How do I set my Macintosh to open an eps file with Illustrator, but then open a jpg in Photoshop, all by default — instead of everything opening in @#$! Preview? This is probably a stupid question, but it’s driving me crazy.
Nope. This isn’t a stupid question. It’s just not obvious. But it is easy to do!
- Select/Highlight any jpg file.
- Get info on the file by doing one of the following:
- Right clicking and choosing “Get Info”
- Press the Command + I keys
- Going to File –> Get Info
- Look for the “Open With” section and select Photoshop from the dropdown menu. If it isn’t there, you can select “other” and browse your Applications folder.
- Click the “Change All” button. (That set the change to universal, instead of just for that file.)
From now on, every time you open a jpg, it will use Photoshop as the default program. Follow the same instructions for eps files — just choose Illustrator as your default program instead.