How can I tell if a site has a CMS (Content Managed Site) installed? I have a client that has a site and wants me to add a page to it. I have the login info, but I can’t tell if they use a CMS for changes. It doesn’t look like it is, but how can I be sure?
You can’t always tell, because there are a lot of different CMSs. And, where many of them have specific default installations, it doesn’t mean they can’t be changed.
Here are some hints.
- Look at the source code for words like drupal, wp-content in the metatags.
WordPress Sites: Try the links below. If you get a login, you have a winner. If you get a 404 error, you don’t:
- http://www.example.com/wp-admin or
- http://www.example.com/wp-login.php or
- http://www.example.com/?q=user or
- http://www.example.com/user or
Finally, here is a neat little tool that will run some tests to see if it can identify a website’s framework.